Makes 10 loaded potato skins
- 5 medium-large potatoes
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
Coconut Bacon (makes extra)
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- pinch salt & pepper
Mushroom, Black Bean & Corn filling
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Vegan sour cream vegan cheddar shreds, avocado, scallions
- Preheat oven to 400F. Wash the potatoes and poke holes in them and then bake them for 60-75 minutes. Let them cool for a bit when done.
- Make the Coconut Bacon: Preheat the oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Combine the coconut flakes, olive oil, tamari, maple syrup, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and mix well. Next, spread it out on the baking sheet. I cook it in 6-7 minute increments, shaking the pan between timers. It will take about 3 or 4 6-7 minute cycles in my toaster oven. Set aside to cool. It gets crispier as it cools! You can make this ahead of time and store at room temperature for up to a week or in the fridge for several weeks.
- Make the mushroom, black bean & corn filling. Add oil to a pan with the sliced mushrooms. Saute for a few mintues then add the jalapeno, onion, garlic and bell pepper. Next add the spices and let it cook a few minutes more. Finally add the black beans, corn and lime juice. Stir well and remove from the heat.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and turn up the oven temperature to 450F. When you can touch them, slice potatoes in half and scoop them out. Leave about 1/4-inch potato in the shell. Drizzle the potato skins with olive oil, salt, and pepper and place them back on the baking sheet, cut-side down. Roast them for 10 minutes. Save some of the scooped out potatoes and add them to the mushroom, black bean and corn mixture, reserve the rest for another recipe.
- Fill potato skins with the mushroom, black bean and corn mixture, sprinkle with vegan cheese and broil for a few minutes so the cheese melts. Top with avocado, vegan sour cream, coconut bacon and green onion. Enjoy!