- 2-8 oz packages of tempeh (I use 5 grain)
- 4 tbsp tamari or soy sauce, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 & 1/2 cups (vegan) BBQ sauce
- water for simmering
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Remove the tempeh from the packages, cut it into equal strips (about 12 total) & rinse them well with water.
- In a medium pot on the stove, simmer a little bit of water, enough to cover the tempeh, 2 tbsp of the tamari or soy sauce, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder & minced garlic cloves. Cook the tempeh in the simmering “broth” for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the tempeh with a slotted spoon & add it to a shallow container. Take 1/2-3/4 cup of the simmering liquid plus the other 2 tbsp of tamari or soy sauce & marinate for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the tempeh strips carefully from the marinade, place them on the prepared baking pan, bake for about 10 minutes. Remove them from the heat, brush with BBQ sauce generously on both sides. I like to use tongs to flip them gently.
- Return the pan to oven and bake for another 12-15 minutes. Serve with any sides & enjoy!