FOR THE EGGPLANT:
- 1 large eggplant, sliced thin into about half inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup plant milk (I used soy)
- 1/4 cup all purpose or GF flour
- 1 cup of vegan panko or breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
FOR THE VEGAN MOZZERELLA CHEESE:
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1/2 cup plant milk (I used soy)
- 1/2 cup plain dairy free yogurt, I used almond milk yogurt
- 2 & 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional garnishes: Fresh basil, vegan parmesan cheese shreds
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Slice the eggplant into slices about 1/2 inch think and salt them. Let them sit for about 15 minutes. Press any excess moisture out after.
- Set up a dredging station with 2 bowls & a lightly sprayed or parchment paper lined baking sheet pan. In one bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup of plant milk & flour to make a wet batter. In the other bowl, mix the vegan panko/breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning & oregano to make a dry coating. Dip each slice of eggplant into the wet batter, then the dry coating & lay them flat on the baking sheet pan until all of them are coated. Bake for 20 minutes & then remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, make the vegan mozzarella by adding all of the ingredients to a blender & blending until smooth. Pour it into a saucepan & heat for 2-3 minutes on medium, whisking continuously. Remove from the heat.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375F. Prepare a 9X13 baking dish with 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce spread on the bottom. Layer the cooked coated eggplants on top of the tomato sauce, add some more tomato sauce on top of them and then add a spoonful of the vegan mozzarella to each one. Layer the rest of the eggplants the same way until all ingredients are used. Return the dish to the oven & bake for 15-20 more minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil and or vegan parmesan shreds. Enjoy!